Have you tried any of these recipes?

Have you tried any of these recipes? If you have, please leave a comment to let me know how it worked for you and if you suggest any changes!

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Mushroom Sage Cream Sauce

Somebody recently said something about mushrooms and sage and I remembered my Thanksgiving Mushroom Stuffing and how much I liked it. And then I remembered that I had squash/sage pierogies in my freezer from One Sister Pierogies. From that, a wonderful meal was born:



Ingredients:
  • Mushroom medley (mostly cremini, also oyster, porcini and shitake)
  • Dried sage
  • Butter
  • Shallots
  • Milk
  • Black Pepper
  • Olive oil
  1. Heat about a tablespoon or two of butter with a bit of olive oil over medium heat in a thick-bottomed skillet. Add the chopped shallots (about half of a bulb) and saute 2 minutes, until soft.
  2. Add chopped mushrooms (if reconstituting them from dried, reserve the water they were simmered in and add to the butter and shallot mixture at this time).
  3. Add sage (about 2 tsp).
  4. Simmer until liquid is reduced a bit and the mushrooms have lost much of their size.
  5. Cover in milk and simmer until liquid is further reduced (10-15 minutes) and season with black pepper.
I poured this sauce over my squash/sage pierogis, but made enough to pour over a squash I plan to bake later in the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails