The best local pub
I thought I didn't like trout
This sure convinced me!
- 1 rainbow trout, deboned
- 1 small head of cabbage
- 1 medium shallot, chopped
- 2 small apples (gala, or the like)
- 2 handfulls pecans, crumbled
- red peppercorns
- olive oil
- corn from three ears
- 1/3 cup cream
- fresh thyme
- red pepper flakes
- cooking twine
- Preheat oven to 400. Saute most of the shallot in butter. Chop and add the cabbage. Cube and add the apple. Crumble and add the pecan. Toss/stir over medium-high heat until the combination is softened, aromatic, and browned in parts.
- Rinse fish in water and a little bit of cream. Place two pieces of cooking twine across a baking dish. Place fish, open, in the dish and fill with the cabbage mixture (extra mixture can be tucked around the fish). Close the fish around the mixture and tie.
- Brush the fish with olive oil and sprinkle with red peppercorns. Loosely cover and bake 20 minutes.
- While the fish is baking, saute the rest of the shallot in a little more butter and add the corn. Throw in a nice sprig of thyme. Cook until the corn is golden and the thyme is a vibrant green. Add cream and cook to reduce.
- After 20 minutes, remove the covering from the fish and cook 5 minutes longer or until fish is flaky.
- Remove the fish from the oven and let it sit a minute while you dish up corn to plates. Portion fish to plates and enjoy!
Pictures taken by April Faith-Slaker