What is polenta?
Breakfast, lunch or dinnertime
Tasty comfort food
- 1/2 cup dry polenta
- 2 cups broth (I used the mushroom broth strained from rehydrating the mushrooms)
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1/4 cup diced tomatoes
- 4 eggs
- 4 oz cheddar cheese
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp butter
- a bit of olive oil
- black pepper to taste
- If you are rehydrating mushrooms, like I did, do it earlier in the day with warm water. They'll make an excellent broth.
- Set the broth to boil and soak the polenta in a bowl with tepid water.
- Once the broth is boiling, add the polenta. Lower heat to a simmer and stir pretty consistently for about 15 minutes.
- While the polenta is cooking, heat 1 Tbsp butter and a bit of olive oil over low heat in a pan. Add the chopped garlic and once it is aromatic, add the mushrooms. Let those cook to reduce liquid and absorb the garlicky buttery goodness.
- When polenta is about done, stir in the other tablespoon of butter.
- Spoon a quarter of the polenta into each of four small bowls. Stick an ounce of cheese in each bowl to be melted by the polenta.
- Top the polenta with mushrooms, a Tablespoon of diced tomatoes and a poached egg (you can poach the egg at the very last minute).
- A dash of salt and some freshly ground black pepper make the meal!