It was rich and flavorful and had just the right amounts of sweetness and tartness. Full of B vitamins, potassium, fiber and cheesy goodness, this makes an excellent dish for a pot-luck meal or even something to snack on all week.
Colorful and bright
Spring food is so exciting,
Rich and nutritious!
- 5 beets
- 8 oz goat cheese
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pistachios
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- olive oil
- black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Peel and quarter the beets. Place in a baking dish with 1/2 an inch of water and sprinkle with your favorite salt (not too flavorful - a smoky salt will ruin the taste of the pistachio vinaigrette).
- Cover with foil and bake for about 30 minutes, or until beets are soft when pricked with a fork.
- While the beets are baking, combine goat cheese and milk in a bowl and whip together until light and dollopable (word? my mac editor says no.). You may need to add more milk depending on the consistency of the goat cheese you use.
- Combine pistachios, vinegar, olive oil, and black pepper and set aside.
- When the beets are ready, let them cool a little bit so the cheese doesn't melt, and serve with a dollop of whipped cheese and drizzled with the pistacchio vinaigrette.
Serves 6. Or just 1, for six days.