For the mayonnaise:
- 1 egg, fresh; raw
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- cayenne pepper
- 4 cups chopped potatoes
- 1 rutabaga, peeled and chopped
- 1/3 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 full sprig fresh rosemary, coarsely chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
- Set the potatoes in a pot of water with a dash or two of salt to boil.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine the egg, 1/4 cup of oil, dijon mustard, lemon juice and vinegar. Blend until thoroughly mixed.
- While blending, slowly drizzle the remaining oil into the food processor. The mixture will whip and thicken.
- Once mixture is thick, add a dash or two of cayenne pepper and some salt. I used a chardonnay oak barrel salt just to be fancy. Mix and remove to a jar with a tight fitting lid.
- Cool 30 minutes before using.
- Toss the cooked potatoes and raw rutabaga together in a large bowl. Add the onion and rosemary and toss. Sprinkle with black pepper and set aside to cool.
- Once cool, add enough mayonnaise to moisten the potato salad and set aside to be eaten later.
Mayonnaise recipe from my good friend Liz.
Potato salad recipe from the grumblings of my belly on missing out on the potato salad from City Provisions.