Have you tried any of these recipes?

Have you tried any of these recipes? If you have, please leave a comment to let me know how it worked for you and if you suggest any changes!

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Strawberry Mousse Parfait

Mmmmmmm. I think I have blogged about this before. Not here, and not including the recipe, so it is about time I shared it. I have been making this recipe for years. I cut it out of an issue of Gourmet magazine ages ago and find it so festive that I can't help myself sometimes and have been known to go to all the trouble (this was before I had an electric mixer and would whip the cream by hand) to make one serving of this just for me! Here though, is the recipe as I made it tonight to serve six. (To make one serving, cut all ingredients down to a quarter of what is required below and you'll have leftovers.)


Strawberries and Cream
A traditional delight
More complicated!

Ingredients:
  • 5 cups of quartered strawberries
  • 4 tablespoons sugar
  • 4 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 3 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
  • 6 tablespoons water
  • 1 1/3 cups well-chilled heavy cream
  • 1 cup coarsely crushed butter cookies
  1. Mash 4 cups of quartered strawberries with lemon juice and sugar in a bowl. Dice the remaining strawberries and set aside.
  2. Sprinkle the gelatin over the water in a small saucepan and let sit 1 minute to dissolve. Over low heat, stir the gelatin until completely dissolved. Stir gelatin and water into the mashed strawberries.
  3. Place the bowl of mashed strawberries into a larger bowl filled with ice and water and let sit, stirring occasionally until gelatin mixture thickens and a spoonful holds its shape momentarily before returning to the rest of the bowl (about 10 minutes).
  4. Whip the cream in another bowl until it just holds stiff peaks. Fold 2 cups of the whipped cream into the strawberry mixture. Fold in most of the remaining strawberries.
  5. To build the parfait, in individual cups, or a bowl, as pictured here, layer mousse, cookie crumbs, mousse, cookie crumbs, mousse, remaining whipped cream, and garnish with strawberries.
  6. Chill at least 30 minutes and serve!
.

1 comment:

  1. I tried this and it turned out GREAT! I ended up using a food processor, rather than mashing the strawberries by hand, but think that it might have ended up being more interesting with more texture. I also think I ended up using less cream (originally used 1 1/3 cups and folded in about 1 cup, saving the rest for the topping).

    Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails