Have you tried any of these recipes?

Have you tried any of these recipes? If you have, please leave a comment to let me know how it worked for you and if you suggest any changes!

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Curry Quinoa Salad

I had this salad recently at a Superbowl party and loved it. I called the host and found out it was premade and from Whole Foods. Now, Whole Foods is great - and convenient! But, if I have all the ingredients already or can get them from a local source, and I'm not crunched for time, I'd rather make it myself. This is my first attempt at replicating it and am quite pleased with how it has turned out. You want to make this a day ahead of time so that all the flavors can settle together.


Always have on hand
A salad with no lettuce
A quick, healthy snack!

Ingredients:
  • Quinoa (1/2 cup precooked)
  • French Green Lentils (1/2 cup precooked)
  • 2 medium carrots
  • 3 Tbsp fresh chopped cilantro
  • 6 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
  • 2 Tbsp lemon juice (fresh)
  • 1 Tbsp fresh minced ginger
  • 1/2 tsp Curry powder
  • 1/4 tsp turmeric
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • Black Pepper
  1. Simmer the lentils, covered for 30 minutes, or until tender, but still retaining shape.
  2. Simmer the quinoa, covered for 12 minutes. Drain both and mix together in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
  3. Chop the garlic and ginger and add to a measuring cup, mashing both together. Add the red wine vinegar, lemon juice, spices and salt. Whisk together and set aside.
  4. Grate the carrots into the quinoa-lentil salad and then chop and add the cilantro. Mix together and add the vinegar dressing.
  5. Drizzle 1 Tbsp olive oil over the top of the salad and add freshly ground black pepper. Mix, cover, and refrigerate until the next day when it makes a wonderful side dish or a hearty snack!
Wash and dry your knife immediately! And to get the garlic smell off your hands, first rinse your hands with cold water, then rub your fingers with salt, wash it off, and wash your hands again with warm water (first beware of any cuts you might have on your skin! I have been watching Julia Child's cooking show, and though I'm not into French cooking, she impresses important techniques upon her viewers such as these, which I'm happy to incorporate into my less-refined cooking!
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails