Have you tried any of these recipes?

Have you tried any of these recipes? If you have, please leave a comment to let me know how it worked for you and if you suggest any changes!

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A Quasi-Indian-Food Experiment

One of my favorite aspects of cooking is to come up with recipes on the fly based on what I have in the house, and a general knowledge of a type of cuisine. When I cook for myself on a daily basis, I might throw together an Asian-style stir-fry, or a Thai curry, or an Italian vegetable dish or a Mexican type of breakfast. However, I have never been able to cook Indian food that way - or any way at all, really.

Recently though, a friend had me over for dinner and cooked Indian food and was generous enough to talk about what went into the dishes he prepared. Though I do need to get myself over to a spice shop and pick up a few necessary ingredients, here is my first (nay - second) attempt. (The first attempt just tasted like spinach.) This one, however, was GOOD.


Quite healthy and green
Experimental cooking
Now, try it yourself!

Ingredients:

  • Cumin (powdered, though seeds are preferred)
  • Ginger (powdered, though fresh is preferred)
  • Turmeric
  • Fenugreek seed
  • Cilantro (dried, though fresh would be better)
  • Red Pepper (powdered, not flaked)
  • Garlic (powdered, because I was out of fresh)
  • Onion, chopped
  • One potato
  • Spinach, chopped
  • Arugula
  • Plain Yogurt
  • Naan (Why not? It was in the house.)
  • Butter
  • Olive or canola oil
  1. Melt the butter over low-medium heat. Add a little oil and heat one minute.
  2. Add the spices - all of them and mix, inhaling, because it will smell good.
  3. Add the onion and cook two minutes while microwaving the potato for the same amount of time.
  4. Cube the potato and add to the mix. Stir. Maybe add a little more olive oil and another dose of all the spices.
  5. Add the spinach and stir.
  6. Add the arugula and stir. Cook for three minutes longer.
  7. Remove entire contents of pan to a plate and enjoy with a side of yogurt and a piece of naan. Or a tortilla.
I need mustard seeds. And cumin seeds. And another example dinner to learn from!

I'll follow up with a recipe you can actually follow once I've tried this a few more times.
.
For ideas on how to use this as part of a meal, check out this Indian Food Menu.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails