- 10 oz bag of lentils (I used sprouted green lentils)
- 2 medium sized onions
- 1 can of diced tomatoes (14.5 oz)
- 3.5 tsp cumin
- 3.5 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 handful fresh cilantro
- 6 oz or so of plain, greek-style yogurt
- 1/3 cucumber
- 1/3 fresh tomato
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 large chili pepper
- Rinse the lentils and throw them in a pot. Cover with water and set to boil over medium-high heat.
- Chop the onions finely and add all but 2 Tbsp to the pot. Add water to cover the lentils again and continue cooking.
- Add the diced tomato and stir, covering with water again while the lentils continue cooking.
- Add the dry spices (reserving 1/4 tsp of mustard seeds) and stir.
- Finely chop the garlic, ginger and chili and add to the pot, stirring and covering with water.
- Cover the pot mostly and turn down the heat to low. Stir every 15 minutes and add more water if necessary.
- Meanwhile, finely chop the cucumber, tomato and a bit of the cilantro and stir into the yogurt. Add the remaining 1/4 tsp of mustard seeds and stir. Cover and refrigerate for later.
- Continue cooking the lentil mixture over low heat, partially covered for an hour and a half. You will need to stir it every 15 minutes and add more water as it boils off and is absorbed by the lentils.
- When it is finished cooking, stir in the butter and add the remaining cilantro, chopped.
- Turn on a fan and open the windows, this hearty dish has a lingering aroma!
- Serve with naan and the raita for a healthy and delicious meal.
For an idea on how to use this as part of a meal, check out this Indian Food menu.