Have you tried any of these recipes?

Have you tried any of these recipes? If you have, please leave a comment to let me know how it worked for you and if you suggest any changes!

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Goat Cheese Croquettes

Three cheers for more ways to eat goat cheese!  This one is fried with shallots and honey.  It is most delicious spread on bread as an appetizer!


Who doesn't like cheese?
Why not try a new method -
And enjoy it MORE!

Ingredients
  • 1 4oz log of goat cheese, frozen
  • 1 shallot
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
  • Honey
  • Olive oil
  1. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat.  Add sliced shallot (separating each ring) and cook until shallot is glistening, and starting to brown.
  2. Remove from heat, drain on paper towel and set aside.
  3. Cut goat cheese log into four pieces (1 oz each).
  4. In a small bowl, whisk the egg and cover a piece of the goat cheese in egg.
  5. Dredge the same piece in panko crumbs, being sure to cover it completely.
  6. In a pan with heated oil, immediately start frying the panko covered goat cheese, 2-3 minutes on each side.
  7. On a serving plate, drizzle honey, sprinkle fried shallots, and top with fried goat cheese.  Drizzle a bit of honey on top and serve immediately!
The next time I make these, I think I'll keep the goat cheese soft and try it without the egg.  (I like fewer steps).  I also think I'll sprinkle them with freshly ground pepper before drizzling them with honey.  I also might make a honey-balsalmic sauce for the plate.  I'll let you know how it turns out!

2 comments:

  1. this recipe is amazing! I made it for a dinner party and among the several dishes I served it seemed to be the most appreciated. Piece of advice for anyone else considering making this: make sure the goat cheese is really totally frozen before you start frying it - it'll really melt quickly. I actually first cut the goat cheese into 5 pieces (from a 4 oz tube) and then froze the separate pieces. Then as soon as I took them out of the freezer, I dipped them in the egg, covered them in panko and immediately put them in the frying pan. It made for a really great appetizer! (served with crackers)

    ReplyDelete
  2. love love love goat cheese! looks like I'll need to get Tim to make this one...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails