Have you tried any of these recipes?

Have you tried any of these recipes? If you have, please leave a comment to let me know how it worked for you and if you suggest any changes!

Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Exotic Fried Chicken

Okay, y'all. I hope you've been eating well! I certainly have - but I haven't been blogging. I'm stuck at the moment on trying to figure out how to replicate a tlayuda at home. I'll have to get back to you on that.

In the meanwhile though, I'm now making some killer fried chicken. Come over. I'll make it for you. I've made this fried chicken served with a curry potato salad and greens, and it is pictured here with garam masala sweet potatoes and spicy Brussels sprouts. And I admit I've reheated it and had it with some mayonnaise for leftovers. You just can't go wrong!

A fried chicken treat
An end-of-the-week dessert
Best with company

Here goes:

Ingredients:

1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 lb chicken thighs
1 quart buttermilk
1 bunch fresh mint, torn
1 bunch fresh cilantro, torn
1 can green chilis
1 2-inch piece of fresh ginger, chopped
6 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
1 quart coconut oil
garam masala
chili oil
1 Tbsp salt
flour to coat (I use gf all-purpose)


  1. The night before cooking, remove the skin and excess fat from all chicken. Combine in a large bowl: buttermilk, mint, cilantro, chilis, ginger, garlic and salt. Add the chicken, cover, and refrigerate overnight.
  2. The happy day of fried chicken: prepare any side items first. Heat the coconut oil in a heavy-bottomed pot until hot and a drop of water dances across the top.
  3. Fill a pie pan with flour and sprinkle with garam masala and salt. Dredge the chicken in the flour mixture and settle the chicken in the fryer, a few pieces at a time.
  4. Let the chicken fry, covered with a spatter screen, for 5-6 minutes and turn over with tongs to fry for another 5-6 minutes. Prepare a plate with papertowels to let the excess oil drain from the chicken after the frying. Use a meat thermometer to test the temperature of the chicken and remove from the pot when the internal temperature reaches 165F.
  5. Sprinkle with a little chili powder or chili oil and serve! That's it!
Next time, I'm going to experiment with a batter, but I like the lightness of this fried chicken and the smell of the marinade as it cooks. Let me know what you think if you try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails