Have you tried any of these recipes?

Have you tried any of these recipes? If you have, please leave a comment to let me know how it worked for you and if you suggest any changes!

Thursday, October 24, 2013

My favorite sandwich á la Swim Cafe

I've never been really fond of sandwiches, have never been a big bread eater (it turns out I have gluten sensitivities), and don't eat much meat.  But sometimes, there is something so satisfying about a sandwich, and when you come across a good one, I find I tend to want it every day until I've gone through the whole loaf of bread.  And philosophically speaking, a sandwich is the Middle Way or Golden Triangle of lunch.  It is made to make every bite contain just a bit of everything - balanced tastes and moderation.  I mean..... if it is a good sandwich.

The cafe down the street from me makes some fabulous sandwiches with really great ingredients and I've been enamored with their turkey sandwich for a while now.  The trouble is, it really depends on who makes it.  So, from now on, it's going to be me!


When the cravings strikes -
Crusty bread, tasty toppings - 
Make me a sandwich!

Ingredients

  • White bread, two slices
  • 2 Tbsp cream cheese
  • 2 tsp horseradish
  • Thinly sliced turkey
  • Avocado (about half of one small)
  • Tomato (ripe, juicy)
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  1. NSoften the cream cheese approximately 15 seconds in the microwave and whisk the horseradish in, making a thick, smooth cream sauce.
  2. Toast the bread.  On one side of the bread, spread the horseradish cheese spread.  Top with very thinly sliced tomato and black pepper.
  3. Layer thinly sliced avocado on the other piece of bread.  Top with turkey.  Put the sandwich together, cut on a diagonal with a serrated knife (to avoid pressing all the ingredients out the side of the sandwich) and devour!
Rather than toast the bread, the sandwich can be constructed first and the entire thing grilled in a buttered pan or griddle.  You know... If you want to be decadent about it.  If you're not though, the sandwich is approximately 330 calories of energy and good taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails